• FLM Wealth Management

Self Assessment Tax Returns

As we head into October people are starting to ask many questions about filing a tax return. If you are unsure whether you need to file a self-assessment form, then below are the different points you need to consider.

The first thing to know is that our advisers here at FLM are always happy to help, whether you have a simple question about filing your tax return or would like to sit down with one of our experts in tax planning - we are just a phone call away. To make your life even easier, if we can't save you our fee in tax in your first year, we won't charge you for the work we do.

Do I need to file a self-assessment tax return?

Many people in the UK will work through an employer, meaning that they are likely to pay all of their tax through Pay As You Earn (PAYE) and may not be required to file a tax return. To check this, you can either ask your employer or look on your payslip where it will state clearly that you are paying PAYE tax.

However, you will need to file a tax return if one or more of the following apply to you:

  • Your salary is above £100,000, even if you are paying tax at source

  • Your income from self-employment was more than £1,000 - this is your ‘trading allowance’

  • You received more than £2,500 from renting out property*

  • You received more than £2,500 in other untaxed income

  • Your income from savings or investments was £10,000 or more before tax including trust income from a Bare or Interest in Possession trust*

  • You received income (or are treated as receiving income) on which tax is still due from a trust, settlement or estate

  • Your income from dividends from shares was £10,000 or more before tax*

  • You made profits from selling things like shares, a second home or other chargeable assets and need to pay Capital Gains Tax

  • You were a company director

  • You or your partner claimed child benefit and your earnings are over £50,000

  • You had income from abroad that you needed to pay tax on

  • You lived abroad and had a UK income

*You must tell HMRC if you had more than £2,000 income from share dividends or between £1,000 and £2,500 in any other untaxed income, such as tips, commission or money from renting out a property - You do not need to send a return for this you can either go online and tell them or call them.

A full list can be found on the government website by following this link:


Important dates to remember

Below are the key dates that you need to remember if you’re filling out a self-assessment form.

31 October 2019 (midnight)

Deadline for paper self-assessment returns for 2018/19 tax year.

30 December 2019

Deadline for online submission of self-assessment tax returns for year ending 5 April 2019 for HMRC to collect tax through PAYE tax codes where they owe less than £3,000.

31 January 2020 (midnight)

Deadline for online self-assessment tax returns for 2018/19 tax year.

31 January 2020 (midnight)

Deadline for paying tax bill for tax year ending 5 April 2018/19.

5 April 2020

End of tax year 2019/20.

If this is the first time that you are filling out your tax return you will need to register with HMRC in advance of the deadline. You can do this on the government website, or we can do this process for you.

The levels and bases of taxation, and reliefs from taxation, can change at any time. The value of any tax relief depends on individual circumstances.

Links from this website exist for information only and we accept no responsibility or liability for the information contained on any such sites. The existence of a link to another website does not imply or express endorsement of its provider, products or services by us or St. James's Place. Please note that clicking a link will open an external website and cause you to leave this site.


Recent Posts

See All

Floors 2 & 3,

Basildon House,

7 Moorgate, 



020 7710 3402


© 2020 FLM Ltd. 

FLM is an Appointed Representative of and represents only St. James's Place Wealth Management plc (which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority) for the purpose of advising solely on the Group's wealth management products and services, more details of which are set out on the Group's website www.sjp.co.uk/products. The title 'Partner Practice' is the marketing term used to describe St. James's Place representatives. FLM Wealth Management is a trading name of Financial Lifestyle Management Ltd.